Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Some Thoughts

Just one picture to share today:


This beautiful stack of Kona solids is going to become a quilt. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'm not a writer. I've never considered myself one. The only English class I feel like I've ever truly enjoyed was Business Communications in college. That class was all about grammar rules and being as succinct as possible - I think it's the most mathematical form of writing. There's no need for flowery words and convoluted sentences in business. Sometimes I worry, though, that I am too succinct in my blog writing. I throw a few pictures of a quilt in a post, slap on a caption, and call it good. I rarely really write about my inspiration, my process, and just life in general. I'm going to attempt to do a little of that in this post. If it fails, I'll go back to my old ways...

First of all, I have no idea if anyone is even out there. That's not why I blog, though. I blog because I love looking at my projects and the sense of accomplishment I feel when I realize I can get things done and have a life separate from mommyhood. That's so important for me now when so many days feel like a song stuck on repeat. It's my favorite song, but it gets old nonetheless.

Lately, my inspiration has been coming from other traditional/modern quilt bloggers. Basically, I love seeing modern fabrics used in traditional designs. For some reason the really-out-there-modern quilts don't do anything for me. Right now, I'm loving the fresh style of Rita from Red Pepper Quilts. She's probably my favorite. Once upon a time, I had someone leave a comment on this blog and tell me that all my ideas were borrowed and I had nothing original to contribute. Well, duh! This is quilting. Of course everything is reinvented - we're talking squares and triangles here. Needless to say, I deleted the comment, but her still words stung. What is it about the impersonal world of the internet that makes us think we can tear a perfect stranger down? Maybe I should have written her back and made up some story about how my dog just died or I'm a paraplegic or something. She would have felt awful. I'll have to remember that for next time. The point I'm trying to make is that quilting makes me happy and I don't have to do something that's never been done before to get satisfaction from it. I just have to be me.

5 comments:

  1. You know - there's a fallacy that crops up in the quilting blogland. And that is that the design, the quilting, the piecing, the whatever, needs to be bigger and better and more wonderful than the last one you just looked at. Quilt shows reinforce that. Blogs reinforce that. But when it comes right down to it, you just need to find your own niche, what makes you happy, and go with the flow of it. You were right for deleting that rude comment. That person evidently needed to feel good about herself and cutting someone else down was her way of achieving that. Sad, sad, sad. Can't wait to see what you come up with for those solids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Barb! So true what you said about "bigger and better." I wish we could all be a little more supportive of one another. By the way, congrats on all the sales in your shop this month. You're doing awesome!

      Delete
  2. I think its great that you're able to get so much done while being busy with the kids! I look up to you in so many ways. By the way, I'm loving that bright blue fabric in the middle of your stack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Share your sentiments, exactly! Excited to see what these solids become and to hear about the boutique. - Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I'm glad you keep your blog, because I love seeing what you're up to, and I have been inspired by many of your quilts.

    ReplyDelete